“FAIR HOUSING and BEYOND”
Real Life Situations, beyond the basics!
Interactive class: "Real-life scenarios" dealing with many of today's challenges!
EREGISTRATION DEADLINE: OCT 28, 2019
EARLY-Member: $99 (till Oct 21) / LATE-Member: $109
IREM MEMBER: contact Debra@baaahq.org
Earn 5-CEC's toward NAA Credential Renewals
(Click HERE for Speaker Bio)
Lesson 1: The Protected Classes and Discrimination
- Identify the need for fair housing education of staff, the property owner, and the vendors contracted to the property
- Describe the federal protected classes
- Identify the protections that may exceed the federal protections from state or local government
- Assess how fair housing rights extend to all residents and guests of the lease signatories
- Recognize the difference in discrimination between treatment and impact.
- Identify excuses and justifications for discriminatory practices in order to remove them.
Lesson 2: Focus on Disability
- Describe the statutes that govern protections from discrimination against disability at the federal level
- Identify the importance of demonstrating sensitivity to disability
- Identify the range of “reasonability” in the definition of “reasonable” accommodations and modifications
- Discuss issues of the disability protection that extend to other physical and mental health challenges that impact the property
- Identify further resources
Lesson 3: Fair Housing and Property Operations
- Analyze communications protocols and the role they play in avoiding fair housing
- Determine issues in handling resident complaints
- Identify documentation as the best defense against fair housing complaints, and set those guidelines in light of the statute of limitations requirements
- Identify the impact of fair housing laws on resident selection
- Identify fair housing advertising guidelines
NAAEI and IREM have partnered to develop this coursework and education initiative.
NAAEI represents the education and career development division of NAA.
IREM serves as a professional association for managers of income-producing properties worldwide.