Resident Resources

Fair Housing

Here we can put an overview

The Department of Housing and Urban Development

Local HUD Fair Housing Offices
Jacksonville Field Office
Charles East Bennett Federal Building
400 West Bay Street Suite 1015
Jacksonville, FL 32202
Phone: (904) 232-2627

Safety Tips

The Houston Apartment Association has compiled the following resources to help your property and residents keep cool this summer. The following sites have information that you can print for distribution...

Drowning, the second leading cause of accidental death among children is also the second leading cause of accidental death among adults.

What Parents Should Know About Pool Safety:

  • If your apartment has a pool, inspect the fence and gate. If the gate does not lock or you find any other defects with the fence, report it to the apartment management immediately
  • NEVER leave a child alone near water –that includes water in a pool, spa, bathtub, toilet, bucket or any standing water in which a child's nose or mouth may be submerged
  • Apartment pools have a phone near the pool. Know where it is.
  • Use approved flotation devices.
  • Enroll children over the age of 3 in swimming lessons taught by qualified instructors - REMEMBER- swimming lessons do not make your child "Drown-Proof!"
  • Learn CPR.
  • Make sure there is no standing water on the pool deck. Standing water is the #1 cause of slips and falls around a pool. NO RUNNING on the pool deck!
  • Always have a first aid kit and emergency contacts handy.
  • Pay attention to local weather conditions and forecasts. If lightning and thunder are nearby, get out until the storm has passed.
  • Call 911 in case of emergencies.
  • Throw! Don't go. Throw rescue equipment!

Teach Your Kids these Safety Tips:

  • Always swim with a buddy.
  • Don't dive into unknown bodies of water. Jump in feet first to avoid hitting your head on the shallow bottom.
  • Don't push or jump on others in or around water.
  • Swim in supervised areas only.
  • Obey all rules and posted signs.

Many prospective residents make the mistake of asking the manager or leasing agent about crime in the neighborhood. While the manager or leasing agent may know about crimes that have occurred, they are not the best source of this type of information. Call the local storefront of the Houston Police Department for crime statistics. The officers at the local storefront should be able to give you the most accurate crime statistics available.

No. Most owners and management personnel have no more experience, training or ability to prevent criminal acts than you do. You should never rely upon the owner or management personnel to secure you from the criminal acts of third parties. If you are in need of security services, call the police. In the event of an emergency, call 911. If you have questions regarding security issues in your neighborhood, contact the local HPD storefront and discuss your concerns with the officers patrolling the neighborhood. 

More safety tips are available on

The function of the Victim Services and Advocacy Program is to promote safety, healing, justice and rights for crime victims and survivors.  Being a victim of a crime is frightening and unsettling for the millions of Americans who unfortunately experience it each  year.  Progress has been made in improving the rights of crime victims.  Victims and survivors of homicide, sexual assault, child abuse, domestic violence and other serious offenses have transformed their victimization into a vehicle for ensuring that victims of crime receive justice, meaningful assistance and compassionate treatment.  

Do you know your rights as a crime victim?

As a victim of violent crime in Texas, you have the following rights:

  • The right to be notified of all court proceedings including cancellation and rescheduling
  • The right to receive information about the Texas Crime Victim Compensation Fund that provides financial assistance to victims of violent crimes.
  • The right to have the magistrate take the safety of the victim or their family into consideration as an element in fixing the amount of bail for the accused
  • If you so request, the right to information about procedures in the criminal investigation of your case by law enforcement officials, and about general procedures in the criminal justice system, including plea bargaining , restitution, appeals and parole from the prosecutor's office.
  • The right to complete a Victim Impact Statement, detailing the emotional, physical and financial impact that the crime has had on you and your family, and to have that statement considered by the judge at sentencing and by the parole board. 

Crime Stoppers of Houston's Victim Services and Advocacy Program provides the following to crime victims and survivors:

  • Act as an advocate on all states of victimization
  • Ensure crime victims and survivors have a voice in our criminal justice system
  • Empower crime victims and survivors to assist in rebuilding their lives
  • Collaborate with law enforcement agencies, prosecutors, probation and parole departments, juvenile justice systems and social services in assisting all victims of crime
  • Accompany victims and survivors to Court and Parole Board hearings
  • Guide victims and survivors through media inquiries and engagements
  • Refer victims and survivors to local, state-wide and national victim assistance organizations
  • Work for legislative improvement to enhance victims' rights and public safety
  • Conduct community events to commemorate victims and survivors

Connect with Crime Stoppers at
713-521-4600 or


Resources for Victims and Survivors

Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault



Bay Area Turning Point


Bridge Over Troubled Water




Family Time


Houston Area Women's Center


Harris County Domestic Violence Coordinating Council


Drunk Driving 




Parents of Murdered Children


Missing Persons

Texas Equusearch


Texas Center for Missing


Sexual Abuse of Children 

Children's Assessment Center


Financial Assistance

The following organizations MAY be able to assist with some housing needs and household expenses. 

Need help paying your electricity bill?  Follow this link to see if you qualify for assistance. 

Alliance of Community Assistance Ministries (Please note many of the ministries/organizations listed below have specific zip codes they serve, if possible please visit this site FIRST to see if they service your zip code area)

Catholic Charities

Chinese Community Center 

Coalition for the Homeless 

Cypress Assistance Ministries

East Fort Bend Human Needs Ministry 

Epiphany Community Health Outreach Services 

Emergency Aid Coalition 

Humble Area Assistance Ministries 

Interfaith Caring Ministries 

Jewish Family Service 

Katy Christian Ministries 

Memorial Area Assistance Ministries 
713-574-7536 Spanish

Mission Northeast -New Caney


My Brother's Keeper


Raise Up Families 


Red Cross  

Refugee Services of Texas  281-724-8705 fax 682-200-3789

Salvation Army This is a veterans assistance program.  


St. Vincent's House 

Texas Health and Human Service Commission 

Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs

United Way 

US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) 

Wesley Community Center 

West Houston Assistance Ministries 
713-780-2727 x 200

Career and Recovery Resources

he government has invested billions of dollars into rental assistance programs across the country. A rental assistance program may be available to you and your property. We have developed this Rental Assistance Matrix to help you navigate through some of the details so that you can determine whether any of the programs fit your needs and circumstances. To view the matrix, please click this link.

Rental Assistance Programs  

Important Note:
Many rental assistance programs are running low or have run out of money, but many have applied for additional funding. We are including links to all area programs, but understand that availability of assistance is NOT guaranteed. Be sure to check the status of each program.

The purpose of this page is to inform renters of various programs and agencies that may be able to provide financial assistance. Please note that this list is not exhaustive. There may be other programs and agencies available. Additionally, please understand that programs and agencies may have limited funds, may have varying qualification processes and requirements and may not be available for all renters seeking assistance. Further, there may be some programs or agencies that only provide services to limited geographic areas in our community.

The Harris County TERAP has received funding for rental assistance. Apartment owners and residents in Harris County, but not in the city limits of Houston, Baytown or Pasadena, can apply for this program.
To apply for the program please visit:

The City of Houston and Harris County have received additional funding for rental assistance. 
To apply for the program please visit:

Program is LIVE

Money will be sent to the landlord/property directly.

To learn more about the program and sign up today please visit the website HERE


For Residents to Apply  

  • Follow this link to apply  Click Here
  • FAQ Document - Click Here
  • NOTE: This is a NEW program and you must apply to be considered.

Click HERE  for more information about the program.

Landlord/Property Information  

CLICK HERE to register

  • If you have multiple properties, please complete an application for each property.
  • Please write down your Confirmation Number once application is submitted.
    • Required Documents:
      • Signed and completed W-9 from 
      • ACH Payment information or manual (check) payment information.
      • Current tenant rent roll with rent amounts
      • Current Certificate of Good Standing from State of Texas
      • Property Management Agreement (if applicable)
      • Signed and notarized Affidavit for authorized signer (if applicable)                 

How you selected to receive payments is how payments will be sent to the property. (ACH or Mailed Check)  

 Rent and Mortgage Assistance Program

Now processing applications online. To apply go to

Note, payments will be made to either the resident or the landlord depending on what funding source the resident qualifies for.

Resident flyer – Click Here